I'm breathing fire.
About 6 months ago, we lowered Cole's crib to the lowest setting but as he's grown taller, in the back of my mind I've been wondering if it could go any lower. Last week, he was so close to climbing out, I began taking surveys from friends about when to switch to a toddler bed or convert his current bed. Still thinking he should be in the crib for a while... Marc reassured me that the crib was on the lowest "setting" possible.
Tonight, he had a difficult time going to bed. He's cutting 4 teeth on the bottom (I'm sure there's a few on the top, too). After a 3rd attempt of rocking, reading books and snuggling, I put him in the crib and decided we were going to let him cry for about 10 minutes. Until, I heard a loud slam, ran into his room,found him laying on the floor, by the door, screaming hysterically like I've never heard. I let him play for a while, to make sure he was moving appropriately~ ruling out any hurts.
I began to think more about the crib, got online, to find out our particular crib was recalled in Feb. Here's the disclaimer on the site:
Hazard: The cribs fail to meet the federal safety standards for cribs. The four support brackets on the mattress support spring are too long. The brackets prevent the spring from lowering to the full 26 inch minimum height in its lowest position, allowing children inside to crawl over the railing, posing a fall hazard.
Just a note for you to check your furniture! We decided to buy this crib because of the reputation of the company. I'm looking forward to talking to them tomorrow and letting them know I"m not happy that my child is now sleeping in a pack-n-play in his room. I wonder how long it would have taken for me to find out about this! I thought the store would have contacted us because they keep record of who purchased what, right? Guess not.
I am thankful he's OK.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh my gosh you must've been freaking out when you saw him on his floor! I am so sorry!!! By the way, it was so great to see you the other night. Sorry we were a little crazy trying to get him checked in and get into church. Everything went great and I reallllly appreciate you helping us with everything. When are we going to get together? Let's invite Court and meet up for lunch or an afternoon coffee!!!
That's awful! No wonder you're upset. You should post an update if you hear back from the company.
Glad you got it all sorted out with the toddler bed and all!
But just so you don't feel alone, every single one of my kids has fallen out of their cribs...and I don't have a recalled one! They just get to an age where they want out, and they haven't really figured out that gravity works all the time and up and over they go. Good thing about babies though, they're real quick learners! Even if you didn't turn it into a toddler bed, I doubt that he would ever try that again!
Post a Comment